Friday, February 15, 2013

As Luck Would Have It...

Some days are just better than others/ you might even wonder why you decided to leave home. This morning might have been one of those mornings. It was blowing/ maybe I should say spitting snow so I thought it might take a while to leave the valley.

If there was ice underneath, who would know as there was a thin snow covering?  So I departed the valley taking my good old time and once I was in Stoddard, it was smooth sailing. Perhaps too smooth as I had a good half hour before Jazzercise class would start.

It seemed time efficient to take the time to stop by the University and ask the Tech guys a couple questions regarding my University issued I-pad. As luck would have it, there was a parking place right in front of the building.  The gods were truly smiling upon me this a.m.  Tech help had me out of there within 10 minutes but as I crossed the street towards the car, I felt inside my pockets and there was no car key. Uh oh... I walked gingerly over the icy crosswalk and peered into the car. There on the back seat where I had removed my Ipad from my school bag, lay my key.


 I looked back across the street and there at the stop sign sat a police car. I gave him my 'stage' desperate look.  OK I am kidding, I frantically waved him over , explained my predicament and he told me that he'd be back in 5 minutes and that I would need to sign a waiver. No problem.







As the wind blew, the 5 minutes wait seemed interminable but he did return. I gladly filled out the form and then he didn't use that long flattened metal ruler thing... Instead he had a flat piece of plastic that he used to wedge under the rubber tubing around the top corner of the door. When that door corner was protruding a bit, he took what looked like a blood pressure cuff and pumped it, this air inflated cuff then created enough space for him to insert a long small rebar like ( thicker than the proverbial coat hanger wire) which was bent a bit to try to push on the automatic door button. Well apparently, once you have clicked the button , you have 2 seconds to pull open the handle/ the car's security system starts blaring. He hadn't experienced this before. Now, not only do we have a squad car calling attention but people I know are passing by. Embarrassing... although a lot better than being pulled over for a ticket.

We would need to call the towing guy because there was no way this  officer could get me inside of my vehicle. I was cold with my still damp hair so the young police officer offered for me to sit in his front seat. And so we waited together... visiting. I'll save that conversation maybe for another day...

Within 10 minutes the tow guy arrived , explained the timing issue, had the door unlocked and I was on my to Jazzercise about 10 minutes late with a new story to share.

I guess luck can only last so long. So much for being early -

 May your day goes a lot smoother than mine started out, out of the End of the Rainbow Valley.

Don't forget the blood pressure cuff...





No comments:

Post a Comment